Graham's | Oporto
Winemaker - Charles Symingtonhttp://www.grahams-port.com
The firm of W. & J. Graham & Co has its roots in a Glasgow based textile concern. During the early nineteenth century an office of this trading company was established in Oporto. In 1820 the brothers William and John Graham, who were then managing the office, accepted 27 pipes of Port wine in settlement of a bad debt. This Port was shipped to the parent company in Glasgow which initially reprimanded the brothers for not sending cash. Fortunately however, after it was sold, the Port turned out to be very popular and soon William and John were being urged by their parent company to acquire and ship more of this finest of fortified wines.
Graham's wines come primarily from its own Quinta dos Malvedos near Tua and Quinta das Lages in the Rio Torto. Two others, privately owned by a member of the Symington family, Quinta da Vila Velha and Quinta de Vale de Malhadas, also supply Graham with finest quality grapes. All four Quintas are among the best in the upper Douro valley. Graham's also buys grapes from selected farmers in the finest districts. Some of these farmers have been selling their grapes to Graham's for generations.
Grahams Ports rank consistently among the top Ports every year and they have won dozens of medals and trophies in international competition.
Graham's was named Number One Most Admired Port Brand & Number 14 of the World's Top 50 Most Admired Wine Brands in the March 2016 edition of Drinks International Magazine.